Frequently Asked Questions
- What majors are available through the Accelerated Degree Completion Program (DCP) at USF?
- There are four programs within the DCP to choose from. The majors include Accounting, Business, Health Administration and Social Work.
- How much does DCP cost?
- At $350 per credit, the Degree Completion Program is an affordable way to complete your degree. Call us at 605-331-6735 and we can give you details. Books and materials vary in cost, and financial aid is available to those who qualify.
- Will my employer pay for my education?
- Many major companies recognize the importance of the pursuit of higher education and have employee benefits for tuition available. In some companies, tuition reimbursement is based on length of employment and/or grades. If you are unsure whether your company offers tuition reimbursement, contact your Human Resources department.
- How much time should I expect to spend studying outside of class?
- Study times vary from class-to-class and student-to-student. Normally you can expect to spend approximately 10 to 15 hours a week outside of class, reading, working on class projects or writing papers.
- If I work full time and have a family, will I have time to complete the DCP?
- While all DCP students come from a variety of backgrounds, the majority of DCP students have families and are employed full time. Many adults who are not able to complete their degree through a traditional college program have found the flexibility of attending classes once or twice a week or completely online is far more compatible with their busy schedules.
- How will my prior college credits transfer into the DCP?
- Since all DCP students come from varied education backgrounds, it is best to have official transcripts sent to our office from your high school and all colleges, universities or post-secondary institutions you have attended. Upon receipt of those transcripts, we will review your credits earned and then provide you with an evaluation.
- How is it possible to complete my degree by going to class only once a week or completely online?
- An Associate degree or a minimum of two years of transferable semester hours (48 credits) with a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or above from an accredited college, university or post-secondary institution is needed for entrance into the Degree Completion Program. Additional credits may be earned through completing classes through USF, testing out, assessment of prior learning and workshops. Your advisor will assist you in your pursuit of these various options. A total of 124 semester hours is required to graduate from the University of Sioux Falls. You will attend class mostly once a week, at various times it may be twice a week depending on your major, (courses may be offered in a variety of formats: in the classroom, blended, or online) and do much of your studying and preparation outside of the classroom. The DCP Business major is also offered completely online. In addition, each class night covers a larger amount of material than one might generally receive during a standard college class. Due to the accelerated nature of the program, consistent attendance is essential.
- Can I earn college credit for my experiences?
- Yes, if you are enrolled in the Degree Completion Program you may request to receive credit for experience by submitting a Prior Learning Assessment portfolio. Credit may also be awarded for military training or for professional training examinations. You are also eligible to obtain credits by taking CLEP exams.
- Will my DCP degree be accepted by other colleges and universities?
- The University of Sioux Falls is fully accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, a commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. In addition, the degree programs in the Vucurevich School of Business, including the undergraduate, DCP and MBA , are accredited by the International Assembly for Collegiate Business Education.
- Where is the Degree Completion Program office located?
- The DCP office is located in the Cleveland Professional Development Center on the campus of the University of Sioux Falls. The Cleveland Center is located at the corner of 26th & Prairie Avenue in Sioux Falls.