RN-to-BSN Application Process
The application and all application materials are due to the School of Nursing a minimum of two weeks before the start of each semester. Please review the academic calendar for specific dates.
Students are admitted to the RN-to-BSN program to begin courses in the fall, spring and summer semesters. You are encouraged to apply anytime.
- Apply for Admission
- Your application to the USF School of Nursing serves as your Application for Admission to the University of Sioux Falls.
- Complete Application
- Complete the USF School of Nursing RN-to-BSN Admission Application. Every field on the application is required. You may complete the application online using Adobe Acrobat Reader or by hand. Print the form, sign it and date it.
- Request Official Transcripts
Request official transcript(s) from high school and every college or university you have attended to be sent directly to the USF School of Nursing. Official transcripts must be received in a sealed envelope and contain the embossed seal of the college or university and the facsimile signature of the Registrar. Faxed copies are not considered official .
If you have been previously admitted to the University of Sioux Falls, you need only request official transcripts for transfer courses not already recorded on your USF transcript.
- Write Essay
Provide your 300-400 word response in a typed, double-spaced document written on a separate sheet of paper.
- Describe some of your experiences that you believe contribute to your success within the nursing profession, including life experiences, work experiences and community involvement and your decision to pursue your baccalaureate degree in nursing.
The essay response should be an example of your best writing ability. Criteria used for rating the essay will include the following:
- Clear expression of thought
- Grammar/sentence structure/spelling/overall appearance
- Thorough discussion of essay topic
- Provide Three References
- All applicants are required to supply three Professional Reference Forms. Reference forms should be from an instructor, employer or a member of a helping profession – clergy members, nurses, counselors or former college teachers (relatives and friends are not appropriate). Each form must be signed by the person giving the reference, placed in an envelope and signed again across the sealed envelope flap.
- Submit Application Packet
Place your signed and dated application form, typed essay question and three sealed and signed reference forms in one large envelope and mail it to the following:
USF School of Nursing
1101 W 22nd St
Sioux Falls, SD 57105
Application Requirements for International Students
International students must have completed one academic year of coursework in the United States to be eligible for admission into the nursing program. For more information on international admission requirements, visit our International Admissions Website.
- How will completing my bachelor's degree help me in my nursing career?
- Nationally and regionally, there is an increased effort to have all registered nurses prepared at the baccalaureate level. In order to practice in an increasingly complex health care environment, more nurses are seeking ways to complete their requirements for a bachelor's degree in nursing.
- Why should I consider USF for this degree?
- The University of Sioux Falls takes great pride in making an educational experience a personal experience for each student. USF embraces a holistic approach to life, and the nursing program reflects this with coursework in ethical, cultural, spiritual, physical and psychosocial aspects of professional nursing.
- How can I fit this program into my life, with a family and a full-time job?
- Our RN-to-BSN program is 100% online, with the exception of select clinical requirements. It's designed for registered nurses who cannot attend school in a traditional manner.
- How much time should I expect to spend studying outside of class?
- This is unique to each student, but 10-12 hours per week outside of class time is considered average.
- Do I have to commit to a certain number of credits each semester?
- No. You can create your own pace for completing this program. On average, students take six credits per semester, and most students develop a plan with their USF nursing advisor to complete the program within two years.
- How much will this program cost?
- The cost of the program for each student will depend on the number of liberal studies credits needed. Please see USF's Cost of Attendance for a breakdown of specific charges. The Financial Aid Office can advise you on potential financial aid opportunities.
- What is the average number of credits needed to complete the program?
- The program consists of 26 credits in the nursing major, plus any additional credits you would need to reach 124 credits to graduate. Additionally, there are some specific liberal studies course requirements.
- How can I find out more about the online RN-to-BSN program at USF?
- For more information, complete an Information Request or contact:
USF School of Nursing
(605) 331-6697 or 800-888-1047