Please use the on-line application which may be found on the South Dakota Department of Education website, Office of Accreditation & Teacher Quality: www.doe.sd.gov/oatq/teachercert.aspx . Once there, you have several choices, including initial licensure (first-time teachers), renewal, additional authorizations (program completion for principals, reading specialists, superintendents, etc.), and additional endorsements (for less than program completion).

The Fredrikson School of Education Certification Officer will send your official transcript to Pierre for you. Two exceptions: 1. If you are in the M.Ed. in Teaching program, your content is actually from your previous degree; 2. If you have a previous degree and are here obtaining elementary education certification, much of your coursework comes from that undergraduate transcript. In both of these cases, we will need to send an official transcript from your undergraduate institution. If that undergraduate degree was earned at USF, the Certification Officer will obtain that one for you, as well. If not, please have your university send an official transcript directly to Julie McAreavey. That way, everything can be sent together and there is less chance of mix-up. Although we have an official transcript from your application process, that transcript must stay in your file as part of the permanent record.

PLEASE REMEMBER: The Certification Officer cannot sign off until your grades/degree has been posted, which usually happens in late December or early June (depending upon your graduation date). If you have an outstanding balance or another type of hold on your account, the Registrar is unable to print an official transcript. The sign-off cannot be completed until an official transcript is available. If you plan to apply for certification in a different state, it is recommended that you apply in South Dakota. The fee is very reasonable and most states prefer that you a license from the state in which you were trained – some require it. You will need to access a hard copy of the application from other states. Go to their Department of Education website and search for application materials for individuals who have been trained out-of-state. Typically, there is a portion that must be completed by the “Registrar or Certification Officer”, referring to the USF certification officer. Even if you are missing a requirement, most states will issue a provisional license for one year.

Julie McAreavey, Chair/Certification Officer
Fredrikson School of Education
University of Sioux Falls
1101 W. 22ndSt.
Sioux Falls, SD 57105
(605) 331-6644
This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it