Six Steps to Financial Aid at USF
As you go through these steps, do not hesitate to contact our office if you have any questions or are unclear about any part of the financial aid process at the University of Sioux Falls.
- Apply for admission
Apply for admission to the University of Sioux Falls. Financial aid offers cannot be made until you are accepted. Admission serves as your application for most USF scholarships as well. For those requiring a separate application, continue to step 2.
- Complete scholarship applications
The University of Sioux Falls offers numerous scholarship opportunities. Check out the complete list of scholarships, criteria, applications and deadlines.
Investigate outside scholarship opportunities
- Contact your high school guidance counselor.
- Ask parents' employers or organizations to which your parents belong about scholarship possibilities.
- Check with community organizations.
- Do research at the library.
- Check out local and national scholarship opportunities online.
- Apply for Department of Education FSA ID
You and at least one parent or guardian should apply for a FSA ID at fsaid.ed.gov. Your FSA ID will serve as your electronic signature online. It also allows you to e-sign a Master Promissory Note (eMPN).
- File Your FAFSA
Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as soon as possible after October 1, 2016 and include the USF school code (003469).
USF has a priority filing date of January 1 for the FAFSA.
The FAFSA allows you to be considered for aid from Federal Financial Aid Programs. If there are extraordinary circumstances in your family's situation that you feel are not reflected on the FAFSA, please contact the Financial Aid Office. Special Circumstance requests are reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- Complete the Verification Process
Of students, 30% are selected by the Department of Education for Verification. This process requires that we check your FAFSA for accuracy and completeness. If you are selected, we will notify you by mail about the documents you will need to provide our office. Submit the required documents as soon as possible to keep from delaying your Financial Aid Package. The following are the FAFSA verification documents that must be provided:
- Family size (as defined on the FAFSA)
- Number of college students (at least half-time and pursuing a degree) in your household
- Funds paid for child support and documentation of amount received in food stamps
IRS Tax Transcript or use of IRS Data Retrieval Tool which verifies:
- Adjusted gross income
- Taxes paid
- Tax-exempt interest
- Untaxed IRA/Keogh distributions/deductions
- Untaxed pensions and annuities
- Education tax credits
*IRS Data Retrieval Tool is available on the www.fafsa.ed.gov website under the financial information tab.
- Receive Finanical Aid Package
Starting in early January, once you've completed the above steps, a Financial Aid Package will be sent to your home. Then, you can sign the award and return it to the University of Sioux Falls.