Major in History at USF
A bachelor’s degree in History from the University of Sioux Falls will give you a solid foundation for your career in business, politics, teaching, ministry, law, library science, historical preservation, journalism or museum work.
Reasons to Major in History
The value of a history degree is not just about career prospects. History teaches us about our past, about who we are as a society, and provides the thinking skills necessary to become an informed and responsible citizen in a democracy.
As a History major at a private university, you will:
- Communicate historical knowledge in both oral and written forms
- Master advanced knowledge of the main events, trends and actors in at least two subfields of history and the relation of these subfields to wider fields of global knowledge
- Analyze, evaluate and synthesize information from primary and secondary sources to produce historically accurate interpretations of the past
- Compare historical perspectives from different cultures and describe the contributions of these historical perspectives
- Evaluate the trustworthiness of evidence using the critical method
- Assess various historiographical interpretations of major events in the past and understand the nature of historical causality
History Degree Options
Your History degree options at USF include:
Careers for History Majors
Are you asking yourself, “What can I do with a History degree?” We have the answer. Some of the many career options open to undergraduate students and those with advanced degrees are listed below.
- History Teacher, Postsecondary
- Judge, Magistrate Judge and Magistrate
- Museum Technicians and Conservators
- Secondary School Teacher
- Writers and Authors
History at USF
Find extra opportunities beyond earning your bachelor’s degree in History at USF.
Turn your degree into a career! USF has a strong career services center, with resources, job postings and internships.Learn More
The USF Writing Center allows students to develop as writers and to benefit from the training and experience provided by the Writing Center staff. English majors also serve as paid tutors in the Writing Center.Learn More
Find a place to belong. Be part of the USF and Sioux Falls community through student organizations.Find fellowship
Put Culture for Service in action during your time on USF’s campus in Sioux Falls.Get started