Spanish Education (B.A)
The Spanish Education major combines the study of Spanish with extensive preparation for teaching. Because of the breadth of the program, students should identify their interest in certification for K-12 Spanish teaching as early as possible and take advantage of any advanced placement opportunities available to them in Spanish. Working closely with your advisors in both the Spanish and Education departments is recommended to ensure timely completion of all degree requirements. Learn about teacher certification and licensure here.
The Spanish Education major is designed to prepare students to meet the certification requirements for K-12 Spanish teaching in the State of South Dakota. Spanish Education majors are required to:
- Meet all liberal arts core requirements of the University.
- Fulfill all degree and teacher preparation requirements within the Fredrickson School of Education.
- Successfully complete the following Spanish courses:
REQUIRED MAJOR CORE
Complete 27 s.h. from the following courses.
- - Third Semester Spanish (3 s.h.)
- - Fourth Semester Spanish (3 s.h.)
- - Survey of Peninsular Literature and Cultures Through the Golden Age (3 s.h.)
- - Survey of Peninsular Literature and Cultures: Golden Age to Present (3 s.h.)
- - Survey of Latin American Literature and Cultures through the 19th century (3 s.h.)
- - Survey of Latin American Literature and Cultures: 19th Century to Present Day (3 s.h.)
- - Special Topics in Spanish Literature or Culture (3 s.h.)
- - Introduction to Hispanic Linguistics (3 s.h.)
- - Spanish Phonetics and Phonology (3 s.h.)
- - Special Topics in Hispanic Linguistics (3 s.h.)
- - Introduction to Translation (3 s.h.)
- - Spanish for the Professions (3 s.h.)
SPANISH METHODS COURSE
Complete the following course.
- - World Language Methods (3 s.h.)
REQUIRED EDUCATION CORE
Complete the following courses.
- - Foundations of Education (3 s.h.)
- - Exceptional Students (3 s.h.)
- - Introduction to Field Experience (3 s.h.)
- - Native American Studies for Educators (3 s.h.)
- - Technology In Education (3 s.h.)
- - Human Relations (3 s.h.)
- - Assessment & Evaluation in the Classroom (3 s.h.)
- - Content Literacy for ELL and Str uggling Readers (3 s.h.)
- - Middle/Secondary Methods (4 s.h.)
- - Instructional Management (3 s.h.)
- - Foundations of Middle School (2 s.h.)
Teacher Residency: K-12
- - Teacher Residency: Secondary (10 s.h.)
- - First Aid/CPR (1 s.h.)