Nick Poppens, M.B.A.
Assistant Professor of Media Studies
Dr. Nick Poppens worked professionally in a variety of media-related fields including print news, television news, church multimedia and photography prior to entering the education field.
In 2009, he became a Graduate Assistant in Media Studies at the University of Sioux Falls and was responsible for overseeing design and maintenance of departmental social media, websites and introductory course instruction. In 2011, he received a Masters in Education from the University of Sioux Falls and accepted the position of Media Arts Instructor at the Career and Technical Education Academy in the Sioux Falls School District. While at the CTE Academy he taught courses in Audio/Video Production, Broadcast Technology, Digital Music Production and Digital Animation.
In 2013, he became Media Center Director at the University of Sioux Falls and was responsible for teaching courses in Media Studies, Graphic Design and courses related to the Adobe Creative Suite. As Director, he was also a liaison for South Dakota Public Radio and assistant for campus television and radio space. In 2017, he accepted the position of Assistant Professor of Media Studies at the University of Sioux Falls, teaching courses in Audio/Video Production, Broadcasting, Social Media and Digital Photography. He also advises and oversees KCFS Radio, the University of Sioux Falls student-led campus radio station.
- AAS, Graphic Communications, Southeast Technical Institute, 2009
- BA, Media Studies / Art, University of Sioux Falls, 2009
- M.Ed, Master of Education, Multimedia / Fine Art, University of Sioux Falls, 2011
- Ed.D., Doctor of Education, University of St. Thomas, 2020
- ART181 - Digital Photography
- ART294 - Art & Cultural Travel
- MED131 - Radio Lab
- MED132 - Television Production Lab
- MED290 - Photojournalism
- MED300 - Comm Arts Colloquium
- MED324 - Media Performance
- MED336 - Dsktp Video & Non-linear Editing
- MED395 - Internship
- MED410 - Advanced Reporting
- MED433 -
- MED326 - Digital Audio
- MED415 - Live Studio Prod & Videography
- ART221 - Graphic Design: Layout
- ART331 - Graphic Design: Brand Identity
College Media Association
Dedicated to serving the needs of collegiate student media programs and their advisers
Independent Student Media / Sneak On The Lot
Sneak On The Lot (Independent Student Media) is an all online filmmaking curriculum for schools
- Adobe Certified Associate in Premiere Pro and Photoshop
- Independent Student Media Certified Instructor with Sneak On The Lot Education Platform
- Television News & Journalism
- Digital Photography
Doctoral Dissertation - "Higher Education and Mobile Learning: How Innovative Instructors Use
Mobile Applications for Learning" 
Scholarships and Creative Work
- Poppens, Nicolas. (2020) "Higher Education and Mobile Learning: How Innovative Instructors Use Mobile Applications for Learning" University of St. Thomas.
- Prairie Grass Film Challenge (Best of Show Winners, 2013)
- USF Faculty Art Exhibitions 2014-2019
- USF Sculpture Walk Juror 2012-2019
- "Isolation"  - Collaborative exhibition at the Washington Pavilion Visual Arts Center with Ceca Cooper and Joe Schaeffer.
- "On the Edge"  - Group exhibition at the Washington Pavilion Visual Arts Center with Ceca Cooper and Joe Schaeffer.
- "GOING METRO"  - Juried group exhibition at the Washington Pavilion Visual Arts Center surrounding the theme of transportation.
Worship Leader / Vocalist
Worship Leader and Vocalist at Holy Cross Lutheran Church, Sioux Falls, SD
Musical Director of USF production of Cinderella
Art Instructor at Sioux Falls Juvenile Detention Center
Banquet Meal Ministry Volunteer
Volunteer at The Banquet Sioux Falls meal ministry
Art Exhibit Volunteer
Art Exhibit Volunteer at the Washington Pavilion, Sioux Falls, SD
Southeast Technical Institute Advisory Board Member
Southeast Technical Institute Media Design and Digital Media Production Advisory Board Member
Northeast Community College Advisory Board Member
Northeast Community College Media Arts Advisory Board Member