Melynda Thelen, M.S.N.
Assistant Professor, Nursing
Lynde Thelen is a PhD student at South Dakota State University, a Certified Healthcare Simulation Educator and a faculty member at the University of Sioux Falls. Her teaching responsibilities are in the undergraduate programs focused on health promotion and disease prevention, physical dimension skills labs, pharmacology, spiritual, ethical, cultural nursing and simulation-based learning.
Thelen's research interests are in the areas of simulation-based learning in healthcare and medication competence among nurses.
Thelen has completed a Bachelor of Science in Nursing at South Dakota State University and a Master of Science in Nursing with a focus on nursing education at Nebraska Wesleyan University.
Thelen is currently working toward a PhD in Nursing at South Dakota State University.
- M.S.N., Science in Nursing, Nebraska Wesleyan University, 2006
- B.S.N., Nursing, South Dakota State University, 1997
- NUR420 - Health Promotion and Disease Prevention
- NUR327 - Pharmacology for Nurses
- NUR305 - Spiritual and Ethical Dimensions of Holistic Care
- NUR231L - Fundamentals of Nursing Lab
Sigma Theta Tau International: Honor Society of Nursing
Membership is by invitation to baccalaureate and graduate nursing students who demonstrate excellence in scholarship and to nursing leaders exhibiting exceptional achievements in nursing.
Member of National League of Nursing
The National League for Nursing promotes excellence in nursing education to build a strong and diverse nursing workforce to advance the nation's health.
Society for Simulation in Healthcare
This organization facilitates excellence in (multi-specialty) health care education, practice and through research through simulation modalities.
International Nursing Association for Clinical Simulation and Learning
Promotes research and disseminates evidence base practice standards for clinical simulation methodologies and learning environments.
Phi Kappa Phi
The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi is an honor society to recognize and encourage superior scholarship without restriction as to area of study and to promote the unity and democracy of education.
Golden Key International Honor Society
The Golden Key International Honor Society recognizes academic achievement among college and university students.
- Healthcare Simulation
Research focus areas
- Nursing student's mathematic calculation skills
- Simulation based learning
- Medication competence among nursing students
Scholarships and Creative Work
- Thelen, M. (2017, February). Essentials in Simulation. Presented at HPSN World 2017, Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida. Rabine, M, (2016, February). Essentials in Simulation. Presented at HPSN World 2016, Tampa, Florida Rabine, M. Moulage Course. Presented at Central Regional SimDay, Sioux Falls, SD. Rabine, M. Bringing Simulation to Life: Utilizing Role Playing, Moulage, and Debriefing. Presented at Central Regional SimDay, Sioux Falls, SD.
Feed my Starving Children: Mobilepack
Volunteers come together to help pack meals to be sent overseas to feed children and families in need.