Jared James Berg
Assistant Professor; Education/Education Specialist Coordinator
Jared Berg spent 10 years in K-12 education serving students in a variety of roles including middle and high school classroom teacher, athletic coach, student council advisor, academic department chair, administrative intern, and as an assistant professor in the Fredrikson School of Education at the University of Sioux Falls.
Dr. Berg graduated with a B.A. in English from South Dakota State University. Following a student teaching residency at Roosevelt High School in Sioux Falls, SD, Jared accepted a position as an English language arts teacher and coach (football, basketball, and track) at Columbus Middle School in Columbus, NE. During his tenure in Nebraska, Professor Berg obtained his M.Ed degree from Doane University in Curriculum and Instruction.
Following a move to Harrisburg, SD, Jared began teaching in the gifted and talented program at Harrisburg South Middle School while simultaneously pursuing his Ed.S degree in Educational Administration from the University of South Dakota. A move to Sioux Falls Lincoln High School later provided an opportunity to serve as a reading interventionist working alongside students impacted by special education (SPED), emotional/behavioral disorder (EBD), and English language learner (ELL) designations.
Upon the completion of an Ed.S degree in Educational Administration, Professor Berg began working in higher education as an assistant professor and coordinator of Education Specialist programs at the University of Sioux Falls. In 2020, after successfully defending his doctoral dissertation "A Case Study of Student Motivation to Major in Education at a Liberal Arts University," Jared was awarded an Ed.D degree from the University of South Dakota.
- B.A., English, South Dakota State University, 2007
- M.Ed, Curriculum & Instruction, Doane University, 2011
- Ed.S, Educational Administration, University of South Dakota, 2018
- Ed.D, Educational Leadership, University of South Dakota, 2020
- EDU304 - Assessment & Evaluation in the Classroom
- ENG403 - Teaching of English
- EDU410 - Foundations of Middle School
- EDU506 - Foundations of Education
- EDU525 - Secondary/K-12 Content Methods
- EDU551 - Professional, Student, and Staff Development
National Education Association (NEA)
South Dakota Education Association (SDEA)
Association for Middle Level Education (AMLE)
South Dakota Association of Middle Level Education (SDAMLE)
- Middle Level Education
- English Education
- Classroom Assessment
- Instructional Supervision
Professor Berg is currently engaged in doctoral research focused on the K-12 experiences impacting a student's decision to pursue teaching as a career field. This qualitative study draws participants from a pool of undergraduate education majors currently studying at the University of Sioux Falls.
Scholarships and Creative Work
- South Dakota Department of Education. (2018). South Dakota state standards for English language arts & literacy in history/social studies, science, and technical subjects. Retrieved from: https://doe.sd.gov/octe/documents/ELA-Lit-Standards.pdf
South Dakota Department of Education
Dr. Berg has served the state department of education as a professional development instructor and committee member on the state English standards review board.
SDEA Education Ambassador
Dr. Berg has served as an education ambassador through the South Dakota Education Association (SDEA). This role promoted relationship building and communication between political representatives and educational leaders throughout the state of South Dakota.
Jared regularly shares his passion for music as a guitarist and bassist at area churches and music festivals.