Cheri Kovalenko, D.N.P.
Associate Professor, Nursing
Dr. Cheri Kovalenko received her Doctor of Nursing Practice degree from the University of Minnesota in 2012. She received a B.S.N. from The Ohio State University in 1997 and an M.S. from Ohio State in 2001. She is certified by the American Nurses Credentialing Center as a Family Nurse Practitioner. She has practiced in both primary care and inpatient/critical care areas, caring for patients across all age groups. Particular interest areas are pediatrics, pediatric sedation and critical care.
Kovalenko has lived in the Sioux Falls area for the past 15 years with her husband, Lyle, and their four children. She enjoys reading, running and spending time with her family.
- D.N.P., Nursing, University of Minnesota, 2012
- M.S., Nursing, The Ohio State University, 2001
- B.S.N., Nursing, The Ohio State University, 1997
- NUR321 - Introductory study of Applied Pathophysiology.
- NUR322 - Continued study of Applied Pathophysiology.
- NUR354 - Evidence-Based Nursing Process. Working knowledge of nursing research.
- NUR347 - Nursing care of the pediatric patient.
- NUR441 - Final Adult Health course. High-acuity/complex medical nursing.
- NUR231 - Introduction to clinical nursing. Focus on nursing skills and physical assessment.
- NUR240 - Introductory Adult Health clinical course.
- NUR341 - Adult Health II. Increasing complexity in clinical care of patients.
- NUR431 - Capstone. Led trips to Haiti 2012, 2013.
- LAR210 - Honors Seminar. Focus on Poverty and Christian Service.
Nursing Research Committee, Avera McKennan
Appointed to the Nursing Research Committee at Avera McKennan Spring 2014. This committee reviews all nursing research and project proposals before approval/implementation at Avera.
Sigma Theta Tau International
Nursing Honor Society
Nurse Practitioner Association of South Dakota
South Dakota's professional organization for Nurse Practitioners.
Phi Kappa Phi
Honor Society, inducted through University of Minnesota during doctoral program.
Scholarships and Creative Work
- 2014: Selected as American Association of Colleges of Nursing Khan Academy Reviewer for NCLEX-RN content on Khan Academy website.
- Kovalenko, C. (2012). Evaluating the Implementation of a Nitrous Oxide protocol at Avera Children's Hospital. Final project paper for University of Minnesota Doctor of Nursing Practice program.
- Kovalenko, C. (2012). Evaluating the Implementation of a Nitrous Oxide Protocol at Avera Children’s Hospital, The Sister Patricia Miller Research in Action: Theory, Education and Practice Conference, Briar Cliff University, Sioux City, Iowa.
- Kovalenko, C. (2011). Nitrous Oxide: Safe, Conscious Sedation for Kids. Training provided to Avera Marshall Emergency Room RNs.
- Kovalenko, C. (2013). Evaluating the Implementation of a Nitrous Oxide Protocol at Avera Children's Hospital (poster presentation). Mayo Advanced Practice Nursing Conference.
Maintain clinical skills by working as Nurse Practitioner for the Pediatric Critical Care and Hospital Service (PCCHS) 3-4 shifts per month, Avera Children’s Hospital.
- Served as Project Manager for Nitrous Oxide Project as part of doctoral work. Coordinated work of many departments related to the project, assisted with equipment research and purchase, received training from experts in the field and subsequently trained physicians and nurses on pediatric floor. Worked with marketing to develop a nitrous oxide equipment training video. Assisted in the development of order sets, patient education materials and policy/procedure for the administration of nitrous oxide.
- Service representative to the Pediatric Sedation Research Consortium, a national research group focusing on pediatric sedation and safety concerns/best practices. Our data is entered into a database that includes approximately 35 institutions across the country and is benchmarked against the consortium as a whole. Present quarterly reports at Morbidity and Mortality meetings for the PCCHS.
- Assist with Pediatric Intensive Care Unit Evaluations (PICUEs) reporting. PICUEs is a national database with a central focus on measuring standardized mortality rates to provide relevant quality evaluations using a benchmark reference set of PICUs across the country. Present data quarterly at Morbidity and Mortality meetings and assist with disseminating quality reports to hospital leadership on a semi-annual basis.
- Served as mentor for new physician assistant staff on service.
Spring 2014 - present: Volunteer timer with leadership responsibilities for Snowfox Swim Team.
Spring, 2013, 2014: Girls on the Run Coach.
2012-2013: Go Pastor Search Committee, Central Baptist Church.
July, 2011: Served as volunteer nurse through Central Baptist Church, Children of the Promise Orphanage, Haiti.
2011-2012: Served on task force at Central Baptist Church that achieved the adding of 37 orphans from the Bethlehem Foundation in Cap Hatien, Haiti, into “One-by-One Haiti,” a child sponsorship program through Converge Worldwide. This program provides basic healthcare, food/nutrition and educational expenses for these children. Prior to this project, this orphanage was in dire conditions, with a lack of basic food and supplies needed to care for the children that were all orphaned after the Port au Prince earthquake. All children at this orphanage were subsequently sponsored by families at Central Baptist Church, providing sustainable support to these children as they grow.
2005-Present: Children's Ministry Volunteer, Central Baptist Church.
Program Coordinator for the Forum for Conversations in Theology and Science Series, AY 2013-2014.
Reaccreditation Committee, 2013-2016.
Nominating Committee, 2013-2015.
Outstanding Faculty Selection Committee, Spring 2013, 2014.
Chemistry Search Committee Member, 2012.
Developed and implemented the Nursing Capstone International Medical Mission Trip to Haiti, 2012, 2013.
Academic Policies Committee, May 2010-present. Chair for AY 2012-2013.
Assisted with blood draws for research for Shane Scholten/Exercise Science Department, 2011-2013.
Accelerated Nursing Admissions Committee Member, 2009-present.
Nursing Faculty, Curriculum and Assessment Committees.
Advisor for new Student Nursing Association on campus.
Volunteer for Honors Interview Day, February 19, 2011.
Regular participation in Campus Visit Days, Recruiting, Summer New Student Registration Days.
University representative at SCRUBS camp, Watertown, S.D., October 29, 2009.