Keith Perkins, III, M.S.
Associate Professor, Biology
Keith Perkins III is associate professor of biology at the University of Sioux Falls, having been appointed in October 1975. His family comes from Colombus and Richland, Neb., and Perkins was born in Freemont, Neb., but he grew up in Sioux Falls. He graduated from Washington Senior High School in 1965. He served in the U.S. Army from 1969-71, including one year in RVN and attained the rank of Sergeant, E-5.
Perkins earned his bachelor's degree in English from then Sioux Falls College. He received his master's degree in biology from the University of South Dakota, and he is a doctoral ABD in zoology from The Ohio State University. Throughout his master and doctoral programs, he served as lab, researching and teaching assistants in vertebrate anatomy and development histology, malacology and physiology. He also was a visiting associate professor in zoology at the University of Nebraska Lincoln.
- Doctoral Candidate, All But Dissertation, Zoology, 106 qt. hours, The Ohio State University, 1984
- M.S., Biology, University of South Dakota, 1975
- B.A., English, Sioux Falls College, 1969
- BIO100 - General Biology
- BIO315 - Human Physiology
- BIO380 - Immunology
- BIO204 - General Zoology
- BIO402 - Developmental Biology
- BIO203 - General Botany
North American Benthological Society
The Nature Conservancy, South Dakota Chapter
Board of Directors, Past Chair
South Dakota Academy of Science
Perkins, Keith III. 1975. Distribution and Relative Abundance of the Unionid Mussels in the Vermillion
River, SD. MS Thesis, University of South Dakota, Vermillion
EIS for the James River Pilot Dredge Project. 1984. Mollusc Section. Dept. of Water and Natural Resources. Pierre, S.D.
Freeman, P.W. and Keith Perkins III. 1992. Survey of the Mollusks of the Platte River: Final Report. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Grand Island, Neb.
Freeman, P.W. and Keith Perkins III 1997. Survey of the Mollusks of the Niobrara River: Final Report. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Grand Island, Neb.
Perkins, Keith III, 2007. Final Report: Unionid Mussels-Species Distribution and Responses to Changes in Discharge along the Fifty Nine Mile Perch of the Missouri National Recreational River
from Gavin's Point Dam to Ponca Neb. National Park Service, Yankton, S.D.
Perkins, K. III, D. Skadsen and D. Backlund, 1995. A survey for Unionid Mussels in Day, Duel, Grant and Roberts Counties, S.D. Unpublished Report for South Dakota Dept. of Game, Fish and Parks.
Perkins, K. III and D. Backlund, 1995. List of Freshwater Mussels (Unionidae) Known Historically or Recently from South Dakota Streams, Rivers and Lakes. South Dakota Dept of Game, Fish and Parks. Pierre, S.D.
Perkins, K. III and D.C. Backlund. 2000. Freshwater Mussels of the Missouri National Recreational River below Gavin's Point Dam, S.D. and Neb. South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks Report 2000-1.
Skadsen, D.R. and K. Perkins III. 2000. Unionid Mussels of the Big Sioux River and Tributaries: Moody, Minnehaha, Lincoln and Union Counties, S.D. GFP Rport 2000-09. South Dakota Dept. of Game, Fish and Parks, Pierre, S.D.
Courses I have taught:
- General Biology
- General Zoology
- General Botany
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Human Anatomy
- Human Physiology
- Developmental Biology
- Field Entomology
- Field Botany
- Aquatic Vascular Plants
- Aquatic Zoology
- Intertidal Zoology
- Cardiopulmonary Anatomy and Physiology
- Cardiopulmonary Pathology Seminar
Didactic Science Courses Completed:
- General Biology, UNL
- General Zoology, UNL
- Animal Anatomy and Development, USD
- Evolution, USD
- Genetics, USD
- Invertebrate Zoology, USD
- Comparative Plant Morphology, USD
- Limnology, USD
- Ichthyology, USD (2 qtrs.), OSU
- Cellular Physiology, USD
- General Chemistry (2 sem.), USD
- Chemical Equilibrium, USD
- Organic Chemistry (2 sem.), USD
- General Physics (2 sem.), USD
- Astronomy, USD
- Statistics, USD
- Field Zoology, OSU
- Aquatic Zoology, OSU
- Field Entomology, OSU
- Aquatic Entomology, OSU
- Field Botany, OSU
- Aquatic Vascular Plants, OSU
- Nuclear Engineering, OSU
- Advanced Aquatic Entomology, OSU
- Advanced Invertebrate Zoology, OSU
- Immunology, OSU
- Biochemistry, OSU
- Calculus (2 qtrs.), OSU
- Medical Microbiology, OSU
- Plankton Analysis, OSU
- Human Parasitology, OSU
- Wildlife Parasitology, OSU
Scholarships and Creative Work
- Perkins, K. III. Fragile Heelsplitter: Nebraska Fauna. Nebraskaland. Vol. 68, No. 7, Sept. 1990.
- Freeman, P.W. and K. Perkins III. Water- Nymphs of the Platte. Nebraskaland. Vol. 72, No. 3, April, 1994.
- Myers, Thomas P. and Keith Perkins III. Mussels and Morginal Utility, Central Plains Archeology, V. 8- n.1, 2pp69, 2000.
Selected Academic Administration Participation
Nominating Committee- 2 yrs.
Academic Policies Committee - 6 yrs.
Faculty Athletic Representative - 6 yrs.
Faculty Status Committee - 2 yrs.
Student Affairs Committee - 2 yrs.
Faculty Personnel and Welfare Committee - 2 yrs.
Chairperson, Natural Sciences Area - 1989-1996
"Cool It" Coordinating Committee (Earth Day Activities)
"Managing Our Earth" in Symposium Committee
Faculty Representative to the Board of Trustees - 1990-1992
Chairperson, Faculty Association - 1999-2001
Administrative Council - 2000-2001
USF Foundation Board - 2 yrs.
Faculty Representative to the Board of Trustees - 2000-2001
Teacher Education Committee, USF - 4 yrs.
CLAE, USF - 2 yrs.
- South Dakota Department of Water and Natural Resources, Consultant
- Wrote Unionid component of EIS for James River Restoration Project
- Wall Lake Restoration Project, Science Advisor
- Mary Jo Wagner Arboretum Society Board, Vice President, 2008- present