This program provides a cross-discipline experience designed to prepare students to pursue further study and careers in data science. With a mixture of mathematics, computer science and statistics, the program builds a solid base of skills that equip students not only to explore and visualize data, but also to understand and develop models that support data driven decision-making.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Students will apply algorithmic and mathematical reasoning to a variety of computational problems including those problems requiring mathematical proofs.
- Students will gain the ability to work and analyze large datasets efficiently using a variety of techniques used in research and industry.
- Students will demonstrate problem-solving skills, especially those required to analyze, design and implement solutions involving mathematics and computer science.
- Students will show the ability to engage in statistical reasoning, including the capacity to produce and interpret statistical information.
- Students will be able to organize, connect and communicate effectively (both oral and written) with a variety of audiences.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to use and adapt technological tools used in data science.
Students majoring in data science are well-positioned to enter a wide range of careers in the public or private sector, especially by combining expertise in data science with interests in other fields of content, such as business or sciences. Graduate study in data science or a related field is also a path a student might follow.