General Studies (B.A.)
The bachelor's degree in general studies program provides students with a unique educational experience that combines formal and informal learning in a way that enhances each student’s overall learning experience.
General Studies offers course options from the Humanities, Business, Visual & Performing Arts, and Social Sciences Areas, to supplement courses from the Liberal Arts Core. All of the courses comprising this program are offered 100% online.
The goal of the General Studies bachelor's degree is to provide fundamental knowledge in the areas of Communication, Collaboration and Community that serves as a basis for a capstone research paper.
Student Learning Outcomes:
- Communication: Students will examine and understand the social, historical, practical and inter-cultural nature of communications, including digital and social media, public relations, web design, and marketing.
- Collaboration: Students will demonstrate familiarity with the language of management, the various theories and dynamics of individual and group behavior, and cross-cultural perspectives within organizations and management styles.
- Community: Students will gain a broad understanding of global and local communities, and their associated complexities and challenges, including domestic violence, addiction, oppression, social diversity, prejudice and fiscal and social justice.
Required Major Core
Complete at least 34 s.h. from courses in the areas below, including a minimum of two courses in each area of study (Communication, Collaboration, and Community).
Communication At most one course in this area can be at the 200 level.
- - Web Design (3 s.h.)
- - Intercultural Communication (3 s.h.)
- - Advanced Composition (3 s.h.)
- - Language and Society (3 s.h.)
- - Media Survey (3 s.h.)
- - Social Media for Public Relations and Marketing (3 s.h.)
- - Digital Strategy & Web Analytics (3 s.h.)
- - Email Marketing (3 s.h.)
Collaboration At most one course in this area can be at the 200 level.
- - Principles of Management (3 s.h.)
- - International Business Cultures (3 s.h.)
- - Decision Making Strategies (3 s.h.)
- - Retail Management (3 s.h.)
- - Advanced Excel for Business App (2 s.h.)
- - Operations Management (3 s.h.)
- - Organizational Theory & Behavior (3 s.h.)
- - Leadership in Organizations (3 s.h.)
Community At most one course in this area can be at the 200 level.
- - Global Literature: Origins and Intersections (3 s.h.)
- - Family (3 s.h.)
- - Social Diversity (3 s.h.)
- - Special Topics (3 s.h.)
- - Addiction and Recovery (3 s.h.)
- - International Social Work (3 s.h.)
- - Domestic Violence (3 s.h.)
- - Faith and World View (3 s.h.)
Complete the following course.
- - General Studies Major Capstone (1 s.h.)