Media Studies (A.A.)
The media studies major explores the intersection of digital media across all platforms of communication and technology within the context of a Christian worldview. Media Studies prepares students for careers in professional audio/video production, photography, digital marketing and public relations, social media management, television/radio broadcasting and all aspects of visual and written communications.
The goals of the Media Studies Associate of Arts degree are to provide basic knowledge in the core areas of Media Studies and to serve as a base for further study in a four-year program. Student Learning Outcomes:
- Students will be able to think critically about issues, work and ideas related to the media studies field.
- Students will develop competent visual storytelling and writing skills for the media studies discipline.
- Students will be able to solve problems by using technical skills, design principles and digital processes.
- Students will be able to produce appropriate material in all aspects of design and production based on their specific concentrations.
- Students will develop a philosophical position on the place of communication in culture. Specifically, students will be able to link media systems, communication, technology and democracy within the context of a Christian worldview.
REQUIRED MAJOR CORE
Complete the following courses.
- - Digital Photography (3 s.h.)
- - Introduction to Media and Visual Arts (3 s.h.)
- - Media Writing (3 s.h.)
- - Media Survey (3 s.h.)
- - Media Graphics (3 s.h.)
- - Advanced Media and Visual Arts (3 s.h.)
ELECTIVE(S) IN MAJOR
Complete four of the following courses.
- - Graphic Design: Layout (3 s.h.)
- - 2D/3D Motion Graphics (3 s.h.)
- - Photojournalism (3 s.h.)
- - Reporting (3 s.h.)
- - Media Performance (3 s.h.)
- - Digital Audio (3 s.h.)
- - Dsktp Video & Non-linear Editing (3 s.h.)
- - Advanced Reporting (3 s.h.)
- - Live Studio Prod & Videography (3 s.h.)
- - Media Issues & Law (3 s.h.)
REQUIRED LAB COURSES
Complete the following lab courses.
- - Print Production Lab (1-2 s.h.)
- - Radio Lab (1 s.h.)
Want to know what it's really like to be a Cougar? Visit campus and discover for yourself USF's academic, spiritual and social community.Arrange a VisitApply Now
Request Information on this Program
All fields required.