The music faculty at USF will prepare you to use your musical abilities in a variety of careers and challenge you to reach your potential with each lecture, private lesson and performance.
All music majors are required to:
- Participate in a USF large music ensemble for 8 semesters
- Pass a piano proficiency examination (freshman or sophomore year)
- Receive approval to continue as a music major during annual evaluations
- Take applied lessons for 6 semesters (these courses may be taken for no credit)
- Maintain acceptable attendance at concerts, recitals and community events (10 per semester)
- Perform in at least one departmental recital per semester (when enrolled in applied lessons)
In addition to meeting the liberal arts core requirements of the University, you must take the following courses.
REQUIRED MAJOR CORE
Complete the following courses.
- - Theory I (3 s.h.)
- - Theory II (3-4 s.h.)
- - Music Theory III (3 s.h.)
- - History of Music I: Ancient to 18th Century (3 s.h.)
- - History of Music II: 18th Cent. to Present (3 s.h.)
- - Music Computer Applications (3 s.h.)
- - Conducting I (3 s.h.)
- - Conducting II (3 s.h.)
- - Analysis and Performance **Designated Honors Course** (3 s.h.)
- - Recital (1 s.h.)
- - Colloquium/Senior Recital (2 s.h.)
- - Service in the Arts (1 s.h.)