How To Apply
You can obtain your Bachelor of Science in Nursing (B.S.N.) degree by completing courses over an 8-semester period. The traditional option is designed primarily for students who have no nursing background and do not have a previous bachelor’s degree. Students may register at the University and designate pre-nursing as their major. However, admission to the nursing program is a two-step process and applicants will be eligible to apply to the nursing program after meeting program requirements.
Traditional Nursing Application Process
Apply for Admission to USF
You must be admitted to the University of Sioux Falls prior to being accepted into the USF School of Nursing. Please complete the USF Application for Admission. Students who have not received early admission to the Traditional Nursing Program will typically apply near the beginning of their sophomore year at USF.
Complete Application to the USF School of Nursing
Complete the USF School of Nursing Traditional Nursing Admission Application. Traditional applications will be accepted June 1 - September 15. Applicants are notified of admission decision by October 15.
Within the application, you will be required to supply three Professional References. Each of your professional references will submit their reference form directly to USF on your behalf.
- Apply to University of Sioux Falls(must be admitted before applying to the USF School of Nursing)
- Apply to the USF School of Nursing
- Three professional references
- Approved background check
- Minimum of 2.75 cumulative college GPA
- Required ACT score of 20 | Preferred ACT score of 22 or higher
- Successful completion of prerequisite courses listed below
- Personal interview may be requested
The following courses must be completed before admission into the USF School of Nursing:
- Science Requirements (must earn a minimum of a C-)
- Human Anatomy with lab
- Human Physiology with lab
- Intro to Chemistry with lab
- Organic or Biochemistry with lab
- Microbiology with lab
- Pre-nursing Requirements (must earn a minimum of a B-)
- Health Promotion and Disease Prevention
- Applied Pathophysiology
There are required supporting courses for the nursing major. These courses are in addition to the Liberal Arts Core. A minimum grade of C- is required in the following required supporting courses:
- Human Nutrition
- General Psychology
- Human Growth and Development or Developmental Psychology
Early Admission Policy
Students admitted to the University of Sioux Falls may apply and be admitted to the USF School of Nursing at the same time if they meet the following criteria:
- Minimum of 3.5 cumulative GPA
- Minimum ACT score of 24
You must successfully complete the prerequisite courses listed above and possess a cumulative GPA of 2.75 in order to enter the program.
If you meet this criteria, please complete the Traditional Nursing Admission Application and indicate that you are applying for early admission.