Rachelle Loven, Ph.D.
Dr. Rachelle Loven grew up in small towns in North Dakota and Minnesota where she graduated from Rothsay High School. With a $100 PTA scholarship in hand, she completed her A.A. at Fergus Falls Community College and later finished her B.S. at Bemidji State University.
After completing her elementary education degree with specializations in art, math and early childhood, she started her professional career in Evansville, Ind., directing a church daycare. From there she taught K-8 in a country school in Burton, Neb., and 1st - 3rd grade in Wilmot, S.D. In 1980, she found her way to Sioux Falls to teach K-3 at Christian Center Elementary. While in Sioux Falls, she completed her M.Ed. in Reading Education at Sioux Falls College.
After teaching at North Central University in Minneapolis, Rachelle returned to Sioux Falls to become a part of the faculty at USF in 1987. In 1990, she completed her Ed.D. at USD in Curriculum and Instruction.
- B.S., Elementary Education, Bemidji State, 1976
- M.Ed., Reading Education, University of Sioux Falls, 1984
- Ed.D., Curriculum and Instruction, University of South Dakota, 1990
- EDU316 - K-8 Science Methods
- EDU538 - Qualitative Research in Literacy(K-12)
- EDU326 - Literacy: Writing Instruction
- EDU588 - Practicum: Qualitative Inquiryin Literacy Learning
- EDU330 - Curriculum Development and Design
ASCD is the Association of Supervision and Curriculum Development
International Literacy Association
- Teacher Education
- Early Literacy
- Curriculum Development
Dr. Loven participated in the International Reading Association's research project on teacher preparation. She was named to the IRS's National Commission on Excellence in Elementary Education Teacher Preparation for Reading Instruction. The Commission researched the impact of quality preparation on first year teachers.
Maloch, B., Flint, A., Eldridge, D., Harmon, J., Loven, R., Fine, J., Bryant-Shanklin, M. and Martinez, M. (2003). Understandings, Beliefs, and Reported Decision Making of First-Year Teachers from Different Reading Teacher Preparation Programs. The Elementary School Journal, 103(5), pp.431-457.
Scholarships and Creative Work
- Loven, R. and Hanson, M. (2014) Innovation in Preservice Elementary Teacher Preparation. ASCD. Los Angeles, Calif. Loven, R (2018) Memory and learning. Avera Health. Sioux Falls, SD.
- Loven, R. and Riddle, L. (2019) IBrain Development and Trauma. WIDA Conference. Sioux Falls, SD
- Maloch, B., Flint, A., Eldridge, D., Harmon, J., Loven, R., Fine, J., Bryant-Shanklin, M. and Martinez, M. (2003). Understandings, Beliefs, and Reported Decision Making of First-Year Teachers from Different Reading Teacher Preparation Programs. The Elementary School Journal, 103(5), pp.431-457.
Sioux Falls Literacy Council
Dr. Loven provides inservice training for the Sioux Falls Literacy Council.
Dr. Loven volunteers to work with children on Sundays at First Baptist Church.
Dr. Loven serves as prayer ministry coordinator for The Philips House.
Mentor/Tutor - 5th grader
Dr. Loven meets weekly with a 5th grader in a mentoring relationship and tutor students weekly.
Jill Eggleton Workshop
Collaborated with the Jill Eggleton Institute in 2018 again. This workshop has been at USF for 15 years.