Before You Arrive
Use these resources to prepare for your transition to USF!
10 Ways to Prepare for College
- Take time to think about and prepare for the transition to college. Talk to your fellow USF freshman class and your USF student leaders.
- Get to know your Student Life team!
- Find out more about living on campus! Check out the room dimensions and floor plans for your room.
- Talk with your future roommate. Figure out what you need to bring to college. Use this packing list as a guide, and coordinate with your roommate.
- After you attend a New Student Registration event, buy your books from our USF Online Bookstore. You can send your package to USF and pick them up during Move In Day or any time during New Student Orientation.
- Check your USF student email over the summer. You will start receiving more important information as you start your new journey at USF.
- Pay your bill. Here is some information from Student Accounts on how students can access their bills and different payment options.
- Take a deep breath. Believe in yourself. You can do this!
- Email Student.Life@usiouxfalls.edu with any questions you might have.
Roommates are an exciting part of your college experience!
Housing assignments were sent out mid to late spring semester. We encourage you to reach out to your roommate via phone, text, email or social media before you arrive on campus.
Consider having open and honest communication about your expectations for sharing a space. We want you to have a comfortable and smooth transition as you enter the fall semester. Here are some talking points to go over with your roommate:
- What type of environment do you need for studying?
- Can you fall asleep with music or TV on?
- Describe yourself in three words.
- How do you feel about people of the opposite sex in our space?
- Are you a morning person or a night owl?
- What is your definition of "clean"?
- What appliances/electronics are you planning to bring? What can we share?
- What made you choose USF?
- What is your method of dealing with disagreements or confrontation?
- How are you hoping to get involved on campus?
Move-In Day will be Saturday, August 19, 2023. Check your room number and follow the schedule below.
|Room numbers ending in 0, 1 and 2
|Room numbers ending in 3 and 4
|Room numbers ending in 5 and 6
|11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
|Room numbers ending in 7, 8 and 9
When you arrive, a student leader will greet you when you pull up to your assigned residence hall. They will direct you to where you can unload your belongings. You will check-in with your Resident Director to pick up your room key along with a Room Condition form and Roommate Agreement form, then you will check in with an Admissions Counselor to pick up your New Student Orientation Welcome Packet. Once you have checked in, a group of student leaders will help you move your items out of your car and into your dorm room.
College is an exciting time for any new student! We want to make sure you pack what you need to make your dorm room feel like home. We have provided a packing list as a guide for you to use.
Things to Leave at Home
Please leave your grills, toasters, candles, incense, space heaters, and portable air conditioners at home. Each residence hall is equipped with a kitchen, including a microwave, oven, stove and sink for your convenience.
One tip from USF alumni - don't bring all of your clothes! You can always go home to swap clothes for the different seasons we have in Sioux Falls. Also, don't use nails on the walls, 3M Command strips will be your best friend!