Major in English at USF
An English degree from the University of Sioux Falls opens doors in a range of fields: publishing, editing, journalism, website development, technical writing, advertising, communications media, public relations, management, creative writing, law and other advanced degrees.
Reasons to Major in English
As an English major at a private university, you will learn to:
- Communicate clearly to various audiences and purposes using both effective speaking and writing.
- Express familiarity with literary history including writers, periods and cultural contexts.
- Appreciate and engage with the aesthetics of literature and language.
- Evaluate, analyze and apply academic sources in research writing.
- Recognize and communicate many of the relationships among all faiths, religion, language and literature.
English Degree Options
Your English degree options include:
At USF, English majors pursue a course of study through one of three tracks: the Language, Literature and Culture track; the Writing track; or the Teaching Certification in Secondary English Education track.
Assistant Professor of English
Dr. Kevin Cole
Professor of English
Associate Professor of English
Careers for English Majors
USF’s English graduates find success in top career fields:
- Advertising Sales Agent
- English Teacher
- Management Analyst
- Marketing Manager
- Media and Communication Worker
- Post-Secondary English Teacher
- Public Relations and Fundraising Manager
- Public Relations Specialist
- Web Developer
- Teacher (postsecondary)
- Writer and Author
English at USF
Choose to earn your bachelor’s degree in English from the University of Sioux Falls, and you’ll have access to these extra amenities and opportunities.
The USF Writing Center allows students to develop as writers and to benefit from the training and experience provided by the Writing Center staff. English majors also serve as paid tutors in the Writing Center.Learn More
Asaph's Cow - Student Literary Magazine
As an English major at a liberal arts college, you will have options to expand your learning through the student literary magazine “Asaph’s Cow."Learn More
Find a place to belong. Be part of the USF and Sioux Falls community through student organizations.Find fellowship
Put Culture for Service in action during your time on USF’s campus in Sioux Falls.Get started