Education Specialist (Ed.S.) – Principal or Superintendent
Education Specialist Degree (Ed.S.) from USF
The Educational Specialist degree is designed for career educators who need another degree to get the next job they want – usually to become a school principal or a school district superintendent.
The University of Sioux Falls (USF) in South Dakota offers two Education Specialist degrees:
Increasingly, school districts need educational leaders with specialized graduate degrees in education to take on new and greater leadership roles. Your next big step in professional development starts here.
Best Reasons to Earn Your Education Specialist degree from USF
Accreditation. The University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, the Fredrikson School of Education is accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP), and the Ed.S. degree programs are approved by the South Dakota Department of Education.
Leadership Role. To take on a leadership role in education in an individual school or school district, you need this degree from USF.
Christian University. USF is a private, Christian university. For many of our students, this is an important factor in their graduate school decision.
Education Specialist Degree Program Overview
To earn your Ed.S., you’ll complete a total of 30 credits in Education Specialist courses:
- Graduate in two years.
- Complete 30 semester hours.
- Enjoy a hybrid delivery model, with condensed summer coursework and online components.
- Classes in the Ed.S./Principal program are held on Saturdays and/or in the evenings during the academic year.
Education Specialist Degree Admission Requirements
You’re eligible for USF’s Education Specialist degree program, if you meet the following criteria:
- Three years of verified experience on a valid certificate in an accredited K-12 school, one year of which includes classroom teaching experience
- Master's degree from a regionally accredited college or university
- A minimum of a 3.5 grade point average
- Completion of the required application and recommendation forms