Richard E. Bartling, M.S., CSCS, CGFI
Assistant Professor, Exercise Science
Dick Bartling was born and raised in Brookings, S.D., a very fitness-oriented community. His father was a state champion amateur golfer and later a nationally-ranked distance runner in his 60s. Passionate about drumming since his youth, Bartling took a four-year break in his undergraduate education to perform full time across the Midwest with the Aaron Baron Band in the early 1980s. They were inducted into the SD Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame in 2019. He returned to South Dakota State University in Brookings in 1984 and completed his bachelor's degree in 1986. He earned his master's degree in 1989.
Bartling became an NSCA Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist in 1992 while working in rehabilitation for McKennan Hospital. In 1994, he started the Avera McKennan Acceleration Program, one of the first athletic performance enhancement programs in the region. The program was very successful training high school, college and professional athletes. Bartling planned and administered the speed and power training of nine future NFL players and two future NBA players. He is Titleist Performance Institute Level 2 certified as a Golf Fitness Instructor and has worked with golf programming at the Avera Sports Institute and Todd Kolb Golf Academy. After two years as an adjunct professor for USF, Bartling began teaching full time in the Exercise Science Department in 2008.
Bartling continues to perform Rock, Jazz and Blues with a variety of local and regional musicians. He also teaches History of Blues, Jazz, and Rock for the USF Music Dept.
- B.S., Health, Physical Education and Recreation, South Dakota State University, 1986
- M.S., HPER with Exercise Physiology Emphasis, South Dakota State University, 1989
- EXS100 - Introduction to Exercise Science
- EXS200 - Dimensions of Wellness
- EXS305 - Facilities & Programs
- EXS315 - Fitness Assessment Methods
- EXS326 - Anaerobic Conditioning
- EXS370 - Ergogenic Aids in Sports andExercise
- EXS495 - Senior Seminar
- MUS202 - History of Blues, Jazz, and Rock
- EXS400 - Exercise Prescription
- EXS217 - Science of Coaching
National Strength and Conditioning Association
- Ergogenic Acids (especially anabolic steroids and nutritional) / Performance Enhancement Training for Athletes / Golf Fitness