Bradley D. Van Kalsbeek, EdD, MBA, CGMA, CPA
Associate Professor, Accounting/Area Chair of School of Business
Experienced executive professional with a solid financial background and keen analytical talents
SUMMARY AND AREAS OF EXPERTISE
Brad has several years of experience in the areas of accounting and financial management. He has dealt with accounting issues from the standpoint of publicly traded and privately held companies as well as from non-profit and governmental entities. Brad has industry experience in real estate development, hospitality management, financial institutions, construction and asset management. Brad also has extensive experience in budgeting at the corporate and subsidiary levels. As an executive at a senior level, Brad has been involved with strategic planning, crisis management and long-range planning. He has proven his abilities to direct divisions, departments, teams and projects while developing and implementing policies and procedures. Brad is adept at cash management, financial operations and change management.
EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
Bachelor of Arts – Northwestern College, Orange City, IA, May 1992
Accounting and Business Administration: Financial Management
Master of Business Administration – Colorado Technical University, Sioux Falls, SD, June 2002
Doctor of Education and Leadership – NE Methodist College, Omaha, NE, July 2021
South Dakota CPA Certificate No. 1801
South Dakota Individual Permit No. 1219
South Dakota Firm Permit No. 861
Leadership Sioux Falls, Class XVI, May 2002
(2005 – Present) Brad joined the University of Sioux Falls as full time Assistant Professor of Accounting January 2005. Since this time, Brad has been awarded tenure and has been promoted to the rank of Associate Professor of Accounting, and currently serves as Area Chair of the Vucurevich School of Business.
Other Service to the University: committees, speaking, advisees, recruiting (local and distance), alumni gatherings, incoming freshman gathering,
Courses that Brad has taught include: Intermediate Accounting II, Cost Management, Advanced Accounting, Auditing, Organizational Income Tax, Computerized Accounting, and Principles of Accounting I and II. Prior to this, Brad taught adjunct for the University of Sioux Falls, teaching Advanced Accounting, Auditing, and Principles of Accounting since the Fall of 2003.
September 2013, The South Dakota CPA Society awarded Brad the Excellence in Teaching Award.
May 2013, The University of Sioux Falls awarded Brad the 2012-2013 Outstanding Faculty Award. This award is nominated by students, faculty and staff.
April 2012, The National Society of Leadership and Success, USF Chapter, awarded Brad the Excellence in Teaching Award.
(2003 – 2004) Joining Adams Thermal Systems, Inc., in 2003 as their Chief Financial Officer, Brad developed and created an entire accounting department and system. For this newly formed company, Brad oversaw all financial and administrative decisions. Areas of responsibility included debt and cash management, benefit selection and administration, information technology oversight, asset management, contract reviews and day-to-day supervision.
(1997 – 2003) In 1997 Brad joined Hegg Companies, Inc., as their Vice President and Chief Financial Officer. Brad contributes his strong knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and Generally Accepted Auditing Standards while being a positive motivator. A team leader, Brad feels strongly about developing the accountants on staff. Through their insights come opportunities to increase efficiencies and provide better financial reporting to our clients.
(1996 – 1997) Prior to joining Hegg Companies, Inc. Brad taught one academic year at Northwestern College. Courses he was responsible for include Intermediate Accounting, Federal Income Tax, Auditing, Cost Accounting and Finance. During this year of teaching, Brad was responsible for 50 to 55 advisees as well as an advisor for the business club, Phi Beta Lambda.
(1993 – 1996) Brad also had the opportunity to work with McGladrey & Pullen, L.L.P. in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, an international public accounting and consulting firm, gaining valuable public accounting experience servicing a variety of clients ranging from those which were publicly traded to non-profit and governmental.
(1992 – 1993) Graduating from undergraduate college in May 1992, Brad began interning at a regional CPA firm, Williams and Company, PC in January of 1992. Brad was offered a position within the firm prior to graduation and remained with this firm for another year.
In conclusion, Brad’s exposure to teaching makes the “real world” of accounting understandable to all.
- Proficient with Zoom, Teams, Excel, Word, Power Point, Outlook, Lotus 1-2-3, Lotus Notes, MAS 90, QuickBooks Accounting, Sage/Peach Tree Accounting, T-Value
LICENSES AND AFFILIATIONS
- Certified Public Accountant
- South Dakota CPA Society
- South Dakota Board of Accountancy
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Board Vice President, Bethesda Christian Counseling
- Board Vice President, West Okoboji Harbor Association
- Former Board Member, Avera McKennan Foundation
- Former Member, Chief Financial Officers Club
- Former Member, Sioux Empire United Way, Division Chair
- Former Member, Junior Achievement volunteer recruiter/instructor
- Former Team Leader Volunteer – Faculty Staff Campaign, University of Sioux Falls
- Former Member, First Tee World Golf Association for Kids
- Former Member, Sioux Falls Area Chamber of Commerce Tax Council
- Former Member, Shalom Christian Reformed Church
- Former Member, New Member Ministries Committee, Shalom Christian Reformed Church
- Former Member, Business Executives for Sioux Falls Christian Schools
- Former Board President, Bethany Christian Services
- Former Board Member, Northwestern College Presidential Search Committee
- Former Board Member, Northwestern College Alumni Association
- Former Board Member, Sioux Falls Christian Schools
- Former Elder, First Christian Reformed Church
- Former Treasurer, Good News Reformed Church
- Former Deacon, Good News Reformed Church
- Former Licensed Representative in Securities Series 22 & 63
- Married to Carilyn Van Kalsbeek, MD
- Father of 4 children: Mitchell Bradley, Mattea Lauren, Micah Jonalyn and Megan JC
- Enjoy spending time with family and friends at our Okoboji cabin
- Interests: family time, water sports, boating, piano/organ, worshiping at First Christian Reformed Church
- B.A., Accounting and Business Administration-Financial Management, Northwestern College, 1992
- M.B.A., Business Administration, Colorado Technical University, 2002
- Ed.D., Leadership, NE Methodist College, 2021
- C.G.M.A., Management Accounting, American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, 2012
- C.P.A., Accounting, American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, 1995
- ACC225 - Principles of Accounting I
- ACC226 - Principles of Accounting II
- ACC404 - Organizational Tax
- ACC425 - Advanced Accounting
- ACC426 - Auditing
- ACC250 - Computerized Accounting
- ACC326 - Intermediate Accounting II
SD Board of Accountancy (SD)
American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
South Dakota CPA Society (SDCPA)
Christian Business Faculty Association
- CPA Firms
- Hotel Management
- Accounting Profession
- Financial Management
- Real Estate Developement
- Property Management
- Financial Accounting
- Managerial Accounting
- Computerized Accounting
Scholarships and Creative Work
- Career Readiness for the Accounting Major